Wednesday, March 27, 2013

"Empire Strikes Part 2" Originally Posted 05/27/10

Day 3- Friday, May 21, 2010

Another beautiful day. My eyes had dark circles that I couldn’t obscure no matter what I tried. I went to some sessions. I also took a walk by myself to the nearby Rite Aid for Zantac as my tummy still hurt really bad. The woman behind the register wasn’t going to serve me, but I was quietly insistent. Bitch.
I spent most of the day polishing my act in front of empty rooms. That way, if I didn’t get laughs, I’d be used to it.

That night was the talent show. Lady Ellen did my makeup again, and I wedged myself into a tight pink dress that I’m sure broke several local laws.
I was up third, behind someone lip syncing Shania Twain and someone doing a juggling/whip act. Really.

I did my routine, the highlight of which was “Captain Kirk: Crossdresser.” I got some laughs but didn’t notice my hip pad on one side was falling down. I looked so stupid!

Anyway, after that I went back to the room and threw a denim skirt over the short dress. I went to the hotel bar but didn’t stay up late as I was thoroughly exhausted.

Day 4- Saturday, May 22, 2010
Thanks to Zantac and Nyquil, I slept well. The final day. I attended sessions again. In one session, Lady Ellen used me as an example of how NOT to walk like a lady, then corrected me. So I got a free walking lesson, which was cool. I also ran some errands for the convention staff. It was a bit of a lazy day, and that was fine by me.

That night was the final Gala. Lady Ellen did my makeup again. I wore my black gown, and went blonde. I looked great, if I may say so myself!


Dinner was fantastic. I sat near the stage and soon found myself surrounded by doctors and rich folks. Therapists that is: one named Dr. Docter. Really.

 
The show was Jade Estrada and he was BRILLIANT! Absolutely AMAZING talent! I went over afterward to congratulate him and he said he loved my act.
 
He loved MY ACT!
I was floating for the rest of the night.
 
So everyone was going out. I changed back to my LBD. After an aborted attempt to go to Jillians (everyone else was afraid of confrontation) we went to another gay bar: Water Works. By this point my feet were killing me and my stomach was on fire. While I enjoyed the company, I was miserable- miserable in a dress in a gay bar in Albany.

 
Sunday morning, Jen and I packed our stuff and hit the road. No fanfare, no girl time: it was done. It was a long trip home during which she and I tried to sort out what the conference meant for each of us. I’m still sorting this out. I met so many wonderful and inspirational people and did so many new things.
 
It begs the question: so now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment