Wednesday, March 27, 2013

"Empire Strikes: Part 1" Originally Posted 05/26/10

The Empire Conference is an annual event- this time held in Albany, NY. I’d never been to Empire or Albany.  The price was reasonable and my good friend Jen was willing to share a room, so I reserved my spot.

Day 1- Weds, May 19, 2010:
I met Jen in the parking lot where I work. My car can’t handle that kind of trip, so she volunteered to drive. The morning was bright and a little cool as I tossed my bags into her car. We both had a lot!

Our first stop was Bethlehem, PA. to see Amanda Richards at True Colors. We both got makeovers from her so we could travel en femme and look as beautiful as we could. I bought Jen’s to cover for the gas, etc. My friend BJ stopped in as well. She is perfect- looks just like a GG. BJ joined us for lunch at Big D’s Pizza, a local friendly pizza place. Great food and great time!

Back on the road for a few hours, then Jen decided she needed to stop at a rest stop in NY. I had never been anywhere not relatively “safe” while dressed, but I decided to go in anyway. I was so scared! As Jen went to the ladies room, I picked up some maps and wandered, hoping not to be laughed at. I admit I was thrilled as well as scared. This was a necessary piece of Sophie’s growth, and I knew it. We took some pics, bought some drinks, and off we went… to a surprise.


Jen wanted to go shopping (never a surprise) and had heard of an outlet mall along our way. She just never told me. She pulled in. I was going: like it or not! OMG- walking around SHOPPING as Sophie? I was visibly shaking as we walked through the parking lot. I calmed down as we walked a bit and no one noticed or seemed to care. The day was getting much warmer and a light breeze blew my long skirt around my legs. I loved it!

Jen decided on a store and in we went. She is not a fast shopper as she enjoys the process very much. At one point she disappeared into the changing rooms leaving me alone for twenty minutes! I looked around (watched closely by the staff), walked outside, bought some chocolate, came back, waited, saw a nice top in my size, and finally she reappeared. I bought the top and some cheap pink earrings that would match my Friday night outfit.

Again we took pictures. Of course. J
 

An hour or so later we finally reached ....Albany..... We quickly found our hotel and our room and I made a discovery: I left my wallet at home. (I paid cash so far.) Oh sh*t! I had some cash, but not enough to last until Sunday! Sigh. Always something… Anyway, we found out that we weren’t too late for a bbq being held by the local LGBT house and grabbed a hotel shuttle. They were in a house maybe ten blocks away from the hotel. We were late so most of the food was gone as were most of the drinks. I met some nice people though, but most were much younger than me.

Back to the hotel- people are going to a local gay bar for karaoke. I changed into my new black top and a flowing flowery skirt. I put on my 4 inch pumps and did my best to fix my makeup.

So we arrived, and there are maybe ten people in the bar. I decided to sing a song. Why not?


If you had told me two years ago that I’d be standing in a gay bar singing while dressed head to toe as a woman, I would’ve asked what drugs you were on and why weren’t you sharing? But there I was!

I sang seven songs that night- so many that I lost my voice for all the next day. But it was lots of fun!


Day 2 – Thursday, May 20, 2010

Quiet. Lunch was bland even by hotel standards. The sessions were nice. I dressed in a skirt and vest combo- rather business like.


After lunch, I signed up for the talent show; “Trannies Got talent.” I had worked up a five minute comedy routine. As so few people signed up, I was asked to stretch it to ten minutes, so I would have to work on that. And could I do lip sync as well?

I spent part of the afternoon in the quiet hotel bar, doing some editing. I got the job right before coming up and I wanted to start. It was nice, working while dressed.

That night was”dine out” night. Problem: no wallet. So I went with the cheapest place: Jillians. It was nice and I had a good time talking to the only other conventioneer there- a reverend who transitioned some years back.

I wore one of my LBD’s to show off “the girls.” It was a bit scary walking alone in public but not so bad as I knew I looked as good as I could. Lady Ellen did my makeup and the girls were perfect as always.

Most of the ladies were at Jack’s Oyster House so I walked over there and said “hi.” High class place. From there I returned to the hotel bar, where I spoke to some people, had some drinks and called it a night.

Or so I thought.

Suddenly my stomach was on fire with really bad cramps. They kept me up all night despite anything I could do.


No comments:

Post a Comment