Wednesday, March 27, 2013

"Angels Fall Like Rain" Originally Posted 08/25/10

Bonus points if you know from where I stole that title.


It's not the usual third weekend of the month. Oh no, it's very special. SE Pa was the convergence point for so many people this past weekend and they were all coming to the
Laptop Lounge.


From Albany, Lana was making her way south south south past us and on to her birthplace of Atlanta. She was stopping for the weekend. I met her at the
Empire conference when I was singing karoke and she was jumping some guy out on the back patio of the place. She's the one that filmed me singing. She's a TS and is amazing.


From Texas, via Manassas and Aberdeen,
Kimberly Huddle was in town. Yes, Kimberly from Texas, everyone's favorite flying cd. I'd met her twice before and this time we were going to go someplace different. And- I had a surprise waiting.


So Kimberly arrived on Friday. She spent the day at the King of Prussia mall. By the time I finished work and everything, we decided to meet to have a beer in drab. She was staying next to a Hooters, so we met there. Aside from seeing her, the highlight of the night was watching one waitress wrestling another one and dropping her into a trash can. No kidding. That had the whole bar at attention.


The next day my usual friends were to meet at a local place for lunch, but only Jen made it. That was fine as Kim and Jen had a great time meeting each other. We went to the Blue Pacific which is where Laptop was to be held. I wanted to do shots but they didn’t. Sigh.

From there, I went to the motel room Jen and I rented. Where was Lana? Who knows? Her phone was broken so we had no contact with her save cryptic and intermittent messages on Facebook. We knew she’d be at the room at 3:30. Or 4. Or Pi squared. At the room, I re-shaved my face and legs. At 3, I went to Kim’s room, where she had Malibu and cokes waiting. Why so early a meeting?

Surprise! We were going to True Colors for a makeover. Now I do this a lot, but she’s never been there. Once I remember her writing how she’d love a makeover so I decided that as her birthday was only a couple weeks away, a makeover would be a great gift. I didn’t have to twist her arm!

So off we went to see Amanda Richards. Amanda was delayed so we drove around a bit but finally got started. I went first as, well, I wanted more Sophie time. Besides, I wanted to do my nails. After I was finished, Kim sat down and Amanda worked her magic as I did my nails and paced. And paced. I was nervous. I knew Amanda would do a great job, but would Kim like it? I needn’t have worried.


Kim had been searching for a new wig for some time. Amanda sells them and Kim found exactly what she was looking for! So I helped complete a quest. Good karma for me! I hope.

That said, all this fun made us really late. Once again, I missed Renaissance. We went directly to Laptop, which was well underway. We paid our cover charges and then began a whirl of activity. Lana was there and “happy.” Jen was there; everyone was there and looked wonderful! The place was crowded with so many of us! I wore a silky purple top that I wore exactly a year before, a short black skirt, pumps, and hose. I thought I looked great!  


I introduced Kim around and she fit right in (after we all did the shot I had waited all those hours to do.) Everyone seemed so alive. Kim was in her element- meeting new people and dazzling them. Lana was dancing and singing and seemed everywhere at once. Me? I had some drinks and was just glad to be who I was and where I was.

As the night went on I danced, I drank, I watched the Phillies lose. At one point, I leaned against the bar to order a drink and a guy I’d never seen before started taking to me. He’d seen something on Craig’s list about Laptop and came out. He and his wife were open minded, he said. He bought me a drink. He treated me like a lady. He told me I was beautiful. He kept mentioning how he and his wife did fun things with girls like me. I knew what he was trying to say. I introduced him to someone else and excused myself. When I left, they were still talking.


The hour grew late and people slowly began to disappear. I had a big glass of water and started my goodbyes. Eventually I was back at the motel then back in drab. Sophie disappeared for another month.

The story doesn’t end there though. The next day, I contacted Kim and we went out (in drab) for lunch at an Irish bar near where I live. It was pouring rain but we arrived safely and had a great time. Too soon I dropped her back at her hotel. It was an amazing weekend and I was beat.

Lana? I think she stayed at the motel room. I have no idea. No phone means no contact. I hope she made it to Atlanta safely.

So Sophie hides within me for another month. In September is another Laptop but also a Gala Ball! I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment